AIMIM president Asaduddin Owaisi has criticised the NIA's handling of the 2006 Malegaon blast case, accusing the agency of betraying the victims by likely not appealing the Bombay High Court's decision to discharge four accused.
Maharashtra minister Girish Mahajan claims the truth has emerged in the 2006 Malegaon blasts case after the Bombay High Court discharged four accused individuals.
The Bombay High Court has discharged four accused in the 2006 Malegaon blasts case, criticising the NIA for ignoring crucial evidence. The court highlighted contradictions in the NIA's investigation compared to the initial probe by the ATS, leaving the question of responsibility for the blasts unanswered.
The Bombay High Court has discharged four men accused in the 2006 Malegaon serial bomb blasts, overturning charges including terror-related offences. The ruling raises questions about who was responsible for the explosions that resulted in 31 fatalities.
The Bombay High Court has discharged four men accused in the 2006 Malegaon blast case, overturning a special court order that had framed charges against them. The accused were charged under the Indian Penal Code and the UAPA.
For the first time a serving army officer was accused of terrorism.
The Bombay High Court has discharged four accused in the 2006 Malegaon blasts case, criticising the NIA for ignoring evidence collected by the previous investigating agency. The court's decision leaves the question of responsibility for the blasts, which killed 31 people, unanswered.
Unfortunately for the prosecution, the chassis number that the investigation was relying on to implicate Pragya failed as the court said in its judgment that the chassis number of the two-wheeler had been wiped out and therefore it could not be connected to Pragya.
For Malegaon's Muslims, Rahul Gandhi's remarks were simply one more indication that the party they once supported no longer cares for them, notes Jyoti Punwani.
A detailed timeline of the 2008 Malegaon blasts case, from the initial explosion to the acquittal of all accused in 2025.
The Bombay High Court has issued notices to those acquitted in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, following an appeal by victims' families, raising questions about the investigation and seeking convictions.
A special court acquitted seven individuals in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, challenging the prosecution's assertion that the right-wing group Abhinav Bharat was responsible. The court emphasized that the organization remains unbanned by the government.
Family members of victims of the 2008 Malegaon bomb blast have challenged the acquittal of the accused, including Pragya Singh Thakur and Prasad Purohit, in the Bombay High Court, citing faulty investigation and the nature of conspiracy.
A special court acquitting seven persons in the 2008 Malegaon blast case questioned why the investigating agency did not explore the potential involvement of the banned outfit Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI).
A Special NIA court in Mumbai has reserved the judgment in the 2008 Malegaon blast case for July 31. The court said the case has voluminous documents and needs time to deliver the verdict. The blast, which occurred in September 2008, killed six people and injured over 100. Seven accused, including Lt Col Prasad Purohit and BJP leader Pragya Thakur, are facing trial in the case.
Here's the list of the seven accused who faced trial in the 2008 Malegaon blast case.
The Bombay High Court has extended the tenure of special NIA judge A K Lahoti, who is conducting trial in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, till August 31. Lahoti's name featured in the annual transfer list of judges, issued earlier by the registrar general of the high court. The transfer order was to come into effect after the reopening of courts on June 9 following summer vacation. However, a fresh notification mentioned that Lahoti's tenure has been stayed till August 31, enabling him to pass the verdict in the case that is in the final stage of trial.
"You (appellants) have to indicate whether they were witnesses or not. Give us details. This is not an open gate for everyone," the HC said and posted the matter for further hearing on Wednesday.
Nearly 17 years after a blast in Malegaon town of north Maharashtra claimed six lives, a special court in Mumbai on Thursday acquitted all the seven accused, including former Bharatiya Janata Party MP Pragya Singh Thakur and Lieutenant Colonel Prasad Purohit, noting there was 'no reliable and cogent evidence' against them.
Former BJP MP Pragya Singh Thakur, acquitted in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, alleges torture by investigating officers and pressure to implicate Prime Minister Narendra Modi and other prominent figures.
A police official said they were verifying the details but no First Information Report has been registered yet.
Sri Ram Sene chief, Pramod Muthalik, whose outfit was behind the attack on a Mangalore pub. has denied knowing any of the persons wanted for their alleged involvement in Malegaon blast, a senior Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad official said on Monday.
Local people prevented the police from reaching the site immediately after the blast and it could have been done to shield the accused, said Thakur's lawyer, advocate JP Mishra.
The Council of Indian Muslims in UK has also condemned the blasts.
The Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad on Wednesday arrested Lieutenant Colonel Srikant Purohit in connection with the September 29 Malegaon blasts, an ATS official said. Purohit was interrogated two days ago by the ATS in connection with the blasts in Malegaon and was arrested today, Additional Commissioner of Police (ATS) Parambir Singh said. Singh, however, refused to reveal Purohit's role in the blasts.
The prosecution has proved the entire chain that connected the accused with each other for achieving the goal of executing the bomb blast and perform terrorist acts, the written statement, filed by the intervenor for the victims, said.
The 2008 Malegaon bomb blast case, spanning nearly 17 years, was marked by changes in investigating agencies and five different judges, contributing to significant delays, according to victims and accused.
Religious leader Dayanand Pandey, arrested in connection with the Malegaon blast, has confessed to his involvement in the September 29 explosion that killed six persons, a senior police official said on Tuesday. "Pandey has confessed to his involvement in the Malegaon blast. We have taken all precautions to ensure that his confession is admissible in the court," Additional Commissioner of Police (Anti-Terrorism Squad) Parambir Singh told PTI.
Whichever combination finally emerges, Malegaon could set a record for being a town run neither by Maharashtra's ruling Mahayuti, nor by the Opposition MVA, but by a combination of two or three Muslim parties.
One of the prime conspirators of the blasts, Shabbir Batterwalla, had received training at a camp near Karachi in Pakistan in 2003.
Former IPS officer Meeran Borwankar claims political interference hindered justice in the Malegaon and 7/11 blasts, and the Narendra Dabholkar murder case. She cited instances of pressure on investigators and prosecutors.
On September 29, 2008, a bomb explosion at 9:35pm opposite Shakil Goods Transport Company situated between Anjuman Chowk and Bhiku Chowk in Malegaon killed six persons and injured 101.
The witness, who worked at a hotel in Madhya Pradesh's Indore, had in his statement to the Anti-Terrorism Squad claimed that he had booked rooms for the accused in the case.
An organisation that helped the families of victims in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, has expressed displeasure over the acquittal of seven accused and sought to know if they were not involved in the incident, then who were responsible for it.
'If there is effective prosecution, only then we will get justice, but first let them (NIA) run the case honestly in court.'
A special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act court in Mumbai on Monday granted custody of Sameer Kulkarni, one of the founder-members of right-wing group Abhinav Bharat, to the Madhya Pradesh police while remanding ten Malegaon blast accused to judicial custody till January 6.The MP police had sought the custody of Kulkarni, also accused in the September 29 Malegaon blast case, for allegedly instigating a mob to attack a church in Jabalpur and setting it on fire.
The Anti Terrorist Squad on Thursday arrested a man on suspicion of involvement in the blasts in Malegaon that killed 31 people last month.
Earlier reports had indicated that Hooda is a Bangladeshi national but the DGP said he was a resident of Malegaon.
The probe is being carried out by the local police with the help of Anti-Terrorist Squad and Central intelligence agencies.
Terming "false and malafide" the media reports of his involvement in the Malegaon blast, VHP leader Pravin Togadia on Monday threatened to take legal action for dragging his name into the case.